My smoked salmon quiche is a more festive one compared to other quiches that I make.
This is a quiche that I often make at work - especially as part of a buffet-style lunch where I might also serve a vegetarian quiche.
I make a lighter pastry for this one, using only white organic spelt flour, butter and usually crème fraiche. The end result is incredibly flaky pastry.
You can use cooked crayfish (crawfish) tails instead of smoked salmon – I sometimes do this and it makes for an equally super-tasty quiche. The same goes for cured salmon in place of smoked salmon.
I add either chopped fresh dill, spring onion (scallion) and/or chives to the filling. Be careful when adding salt to the filling as both smoked and cured salmon and cooked crayfish are already quite salty.
Smoked Salmon Quiche:
For the pastry recipe, click on Pastry for Quiche.
For the filling:
3 large, or 4 small-medium sized organic or free-range eggs
300g, 10½oz, 1.3 cups, crème fraiche (use 1 heaped tablespoon for the pastry)
250g, 9oz, smoked salmon, chopped – or use cured salmon or crayfish (crawfish) tails
A small handful of dill, chopped – or use 2-3 spring onions, or a handful of chopped chives
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/400F/gas mark 6. Make the pastry for the quiche. Push it out with your fingers into your pie dish and place it in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
2. Take out the pie dish from the fridge, prick the bottom with a fork, cover with baking parchment and add whatever baking beans you are using. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Take out the pie dish and carefully remove the baking parchment and the baking beans. Return the pie dish to the oven for another 5-7 minutes until the pastry starts to brown and the bottom of the pastry is properly baked through and dry.
4. In a bowl, mix together the eggs and crème fraiche and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Add the salmon and dill and stir it into the mixture. Taste to check the seasoning.
5. Pour the filling into the pastry case. Place the quiche in the pre-heated oven and bake for around 30 minutes, until the mixture has set and the quiche is nicely browned.
Apr 15, 19 04:36 AM
Delicious Sri Lankan vegetable curry which is quick to cook once you have prepared the ingredients.
Mar 01, 19 08:10 AM
Easy to make and delicious vegan banana pancakes with cinnamon and coconut.
Dec 19, 18 05:54 AM
It's all about a healthy gut these days - how to increase the amount of healthy bacteria in our bodies, how to keep these little miracle workers happy and why they are so important to us.