I am using pomegranate molasses for this very tasty spicy pomegranate-marinated chicken dish.
You can often find the molasses in well-stocked supermarkets these days. If you can’t find it there, try health food shops or shops specialising in Middle-Eastern food.
I serve the chicken with quinoa and stir-fried vegetables. You can use couscous instead of quinoa (quinoa is healthier and less calorific), but try using wholegrain couscous if you do. If you are trying to lose weight it’s a good idea to give up – or at least reduce - all types of refined carbohydrates.
I’ve used chicken thighs on the bone at times but as it’s a fair bit quicker to cook boneless ones, that’s what I recommend for this recipe. To make the chicken as tasty as possible though, you need to marinate the chicken for a couple of hours before cooking it.
For 4 people:
For the spicy pomegranate-marinated chicken thighs:
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
2 teaspoons ground coriander (cilantro)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1½ tablespoon olive oil
8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
For the quinoa:
200g, 8oz, 1cup, quinoa
400ml, 13½floz, 1¾ cup water
1 vegetable stock cube
For the stir-fried vegetables:
1½ tablespoon coconut or vegetable oil - coconut is best
1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets, stem sliced
Thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 spring onions (scallions), sliced
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1. Mix together the ingredients for the marinade. Cover an oven-safe dish with baking parchment and place the chicken thighs flat in the dish. Smother the chicken with the marinade. Cover the dish with cling film and place it in the fridge for 2 hours. Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you are going to cook it.
2. Preheat the oven 200C/fan180C/400F/gas mark 6. Rinse the quinoa under plenty of cold water. Leave to drain in a sieve. Sprinkle a bit of salt over the chicken thighs, place them in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Bring the water for the quinoa to a simmer in a pot and dissolve the stock cube in the water. Add the rinsed quinoa to the water, bring back to a simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes, until the quinoa have absorbed most of the water.
4. When the chicken and quinoa are nearly ready, add the oil to a wok or large frying pan over quite a high heat. Once the wok or pan is hot, add the broccoli and stir-fry for 1minute minute. Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and fry for a further 30 seconds. Add the spring onion (scallion) and the soy sauce and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
5. Add the stir-fried vegetables to the cooked quinoa and divide between four plates. Top each plate with two chicken thighs and drizzle with any juices left in the dish you cooked the chicken in.
Home Page > Chicken Recipes > Spicy Pomegranate-Marinated Chicken