My quiches are mostly vegetarian and here is another one – a delicious tomato and basil quiche with a pastry made with spelt flour.
Tomatoes and basil are made for each other. I am personally very picky about the tomatoes I buy – I like my tomatoes to be really fragrant.
I am only using spelt flour for my quiche pastry these days. As I wanted to make the pastry for this quiche a bit lighter, I used about 2/3 of white spelt flour and 1/3 wholegrain spelt flour.
I stick to my usual measurements for the pastry even though this produces a slightly sticky pastry dough when using nothing but spelt flour.
This is not a problem though, as I use my hands to push out the pastry into the pie dish (see pastry for quiche recipe below).
The end result is a really flaky pastry with a delicious nutty flavour.
Tomato and basil quiche:
For the pastry recipe, click on Pastry for Quiche.
5-6 ripe medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
2 handfuls of basil, chopped
100g, 3½oz, 3½ cup, fresh spinach
3 large eggs – preferably organic or free-range
300g, 10½oz, 1½ cups, full-fat cottage cheese (use 1 tablespoon for the pastry)
½ teaspoon dried oregano
4-5 heaped tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dry-roasted pine nuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Make the pastry for the quiche. Push it out with your fingers into your pie dish and place it in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
2. Take out the pie dish from the fridge, prick the bottom with a fork, cover with baking parchment and add whatever baking beans you are using. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Put the fresh spinach in a large colander and slowly pour over a kettle of boiled water to wilt the spinach. When the spinach is cold enough to handle, squeeze out as much water as possible with your hands and chop the spinach on a cutting board.
4. Take out the pie dish and carefully remove the baking parchment and the baking beans. Return the pie dish to the oven for another 5-7 minutes until the pastry starts to brown and the bottom of the pastry is properly baked through and dry.
5. Mix together the eggs, cottage cheese, oregano, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Add the chopped basil and spinach to the mix and pour this mixture into the pastry case. Place the tomato slices on top in a wheel-like pattern. Place the quiche in the preheated oven and bake for around 30 minutes, until the egg mixture has set and the tomato and basil quiche is nicely browned.
Scatter the pine nuts over the quiche before serving.
Jan 15, 18 10:20 AM
Asian-style vegetarian food - delicious spicy Indian fritters with sweet potatoes and spinach.
Dec 13, 17 10:11 AM
You might not have heard of this fruit before but super-healthy baobab fruit is possibly the healthiest of them all.
Nov 29, 17 11:07 AM
Full of flavour and healthy miso marinated salmon which I serve with sweet potato mash and broccoli.