As much as I like to try new recipes, some things are really worth repeating. This tomato chilli jam is a side dish that I cook a lot.
It has the wow-factor in abundance and can jazz up the most humble vegetable and give a kick to many a different dish.
Serve it together with oven-roasted vegetables, falafels, some good sausages or your home-made burgers to name but a few.
It’s simple to make and freezes well - but to get anything left to freeze you will probably need to double up on the amount you make as this is seriously moreish. I’ve had many a person scrape the bowl for the last bits of it.
I use this jam as well for making an Aubergine, tomato and chilli lasagne – seriously yummy and one of my many vegetarian chilli recipes.
1kg, 2¼lb, 6 cups, very ripe tomatoes cut into even-sized chunks
3 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 large red onion, peeled, halved and finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
25g, 1oz, 1/7 cup, soft brown sugar
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/400F/gas mark 6. Place all the ingredients in a roasting tin and mix well.
2. Roast for 40 minutes – stir the mixture once after 20 minutes - until the tomatoes are browned and the onion caramelised. Eat hot or cold. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze it.
Let me give you an example of how easy it would be to create a tasty, healthy, low-calorie meal with this spicy jam.
1. Roast a mixture of sweet potatoes ( cut into large chunks) and butternut squash (smaller chunks) tossed in a bit of olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper in the oven.
2. Place some boneless and skinless chicken-thighs on a roasting tray covered with baking parchment. Brush the chicken with a bit of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place this in the oven as well.
3. During the last ten minutes chuck in some small tomatoes together with the sweet potatoes and butternut squash. Towards the end – steam or boil some broccoli and/or sugar snaps or other beans.
4. Serve it all with the tomato chilli jam.
Mar 26, 18 05:59 AM
My spirulina and baobab smoothie might not have the looks but it's jam-packed with nutrients and tastes surprisingly good.
Jan 15, 18 10:20 AM
Asian-style vegetarian food - delicious spicy Indian fritters with sweet potatoes and spinach.
Dec 13, 17 10:11 AM
You might not have heard of this fruit before but super-healthy baobab fruit is possibly the healthiest of them all.