Fishcakes with a twist - exotic salmon sweet potato and chilli fishcakes which are super scrumptious. They are easy to prepare beforehand and can then be finished off just before you are ready to eat.
In most of my jobs as a cook, I am forever short of time and always looking for ways to get things done quicker – and never more so than when I was cooking lunch for 25-30 people at an office in London.
My aim was to serve them healthy food full of flavour; food that would keep them going when lunch was over. The lack of time to do it all in often resulted in healthier cooking methods, as with these salmon sweet potato and chilli fishcakes.
Instead of coating each fishcake with flour, eggs and breadcrumbs and then frying them in vegetable oil, I put the fishcakes on baking trays lined with baking parchment, scattered some breadcrumbs over the fishcakes and then cooked them en masse in the oven. I leave it up to you to choose what method you want to use.
Salmon sweet potato and chilli fishcakes for 4 people:
400g, 14oz, salmon
500g, 1lb 2oz, sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
½ red onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 spring onions (scallions), trimmed and finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
large handful of fresh coriander (cilantro), leaves and stalks finely chopped
Salt and pepper
A little plain flour
200g, 7oz, 4 cups, fresh breadcrumbs
Sweet chilli sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and arrange the salmon on top. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 10 -12 minutes (it’s OK if the fish is still a little bit rare in the middle). Set aside and cool.
2. Boil or steam the sweet potato chunks for around 20 minutes, until tender. Drain the sweet potatoes, transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork. Leave to cool.
3. Once the sweet potato is cold, flake the salmon and mix it into the sweet potato together with the chopped red onion, spring onion, chilli and coriander. Add the freshly grated nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Taste the mixture to check the seasoning and then form the mixture into 4 patties. If you choose to cook the fishcakes in the oven - place them on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
4. If you are going to coat them, then lightly beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. Put a little bit of plain flour on a plate and the breadcrumbs on another plate. Dip each fishcake in the flour, shake off any excess and then dip them in the eggs and finally roll them in the breadcrumbs. Cover and chill in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
5. For the oven-cooked fishcakes, heat the oven to 220C/Fan 200C/425F/gas mark 7 and once the oven is hot, scatter some breadcrumbs over the fish cakes and place the baking tray with the fishcakes in the middle of the oven. Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes, until the fishcakes are piping hot and are starting to brown.
6. If frying - heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan over a moderate heat and fry the fishcakes for about 5 minutes on each side until golden.
Apart from the lime wedges and the sweet chilli sauce, I like to serve these salmon sweet potato and chilli fish cakes with oven-baked tomatoes and steamed sugar snaps and broccoli.
My recipe for Sweet Chilli Sauce
Other Salmon recipes on Light Food Full Of Flavour
Nov 27, 19 05:02 AM
You can now buy my book "A Tasty Way to a Healthy Life" as either a paperback or as a Kindle book on Amazon. It has all the recipes on my website + some new recipes which are exclusive to the book.
Nov 22, 19 02:05 PM
If you like mussels - like these Thai-style mussels - then you are in for a tasty and healthy treat. Mussels are rich in heart-healthy unsaturated omega-3 fats, the very important mineral zinc, vitami…
Nov 18, 19 01:42 PM
A good way to control your weight, or even lose some, is to follow the Low-GL (glycemic load) method. Carbohydrates are the safest fuel for our bodies but of course, some are better then others.